The State University of New York Administration Headquarters was originally constructed between 1914 and 1915 as offices for the Delaware and Hudson Railroad and was known as the D&H Building. The Flemish revival exterior of the building and the weathervane that turns 235 feet in the air atop the central tower were designed by Albany architect Marcus T. Reynolds. The weathervane is a replica of Henry Hudson’s ship, the Half Moon, in which he sailed in 1609 to the site that would become Albany.
The fleche of the SUNY Administration Headquarters consists of an octagonal base with open tracery and a crocketted spire. The steel armature of the tracery and spire are clad in sheet copper. The weathervane, which measures nearly 7 feet in length and 9 feet in height, is also constructed of copper.
Scope of work
- Provided video documentation of conditions at the weathervane and exterior of the spire.
- Provided measurements of various elements on the exterior and interior of spire.
- Designed and installed copper cowls to cover new access holes at the copper-clad spire.
- State University of New York