Jersey City, NJ
St. Anthony of Padua Church was designed by Louis H. Giele in a Victorian Gothic style and constructed in 1892.
The narthex of the church on the east side of the building consists of three bays, with an octagonal tower and copper-sheathed spire rising above a square tower base at the center bay.
The exterior walls of the church are load-bearing masonry, composed of a granitic stone set in random ashlar coursing at the main walls with Portland (CT) brownstone trim used at the buttresses that delineate the bays of the façade and at the pointed-arched window surrounds.
A total of eight brownstone turrets sit on top of the buttresses, two on the south wall of the narthex, two on the north wall of the narthex and one at each corner of the square portion of the tower base.
Brownstone colonnettes are found at the jambs of the stained glass window on the east side of the tower base and between each of the arched openings at the octagonal portion of the tower. The brownstone water table and surrounds of the arched openings at the ground level were replaced with limestone in the 1950s.
Scope of work
- Investigated and documented the existing condition of exterior masonry.
- Provided live-feed video to project team during inspection of tower and narthex.
- Designed and installed pre-patinated copper cowls at new access holes at the copper-clad spire.
- Investigated and documented the existing condition of king-rod trusses at nave attic.
- St. Anthony of Padua Church