Chestnut Hill, MA
St. Mary’s Hall, Bapst and Burns Library, Devlin Hall, Lyons Hall
The four buildings investigated by Vertical Access with McGinley Kalsow & Associates and Building and Monument Conservation, along with Gasson Hall, form the central campus area of Boston College’s Chestnut Hill campus. They were designed in a collegiate Gothic style as part of the master plan for the campus.
St. Mary’s Hall, completed in 1917, houses offices and Jesuit residences. It is constructed of puddingstone with cast stone ornament and trim. Bapst and Burns Library, completed in 1928 has puddingstone and granite at the exterior wall with limestone trim. Devlin Hall, completed 1924, and Lyons Hall, completed 1951, are clad in granite with limestone trim.
Scope of work
- Investigated and documented existing conditions of exterior masonry of the four buildings.
- Provided annotated drawings and still digital photographs as part of TPAS® documentation.
Original architect of master plan
- Charles Donagh Maginnis of Maginnis and Walsh
- Boston College
In collaboration with
- McGinley Kalsow & Associates LLP
- Building and Monument Conservation