Fort Montgomery, NY
The Route 9W Bridge over Popolopen Creek near Fort Montgomery, NY is a steel truss bridge supported by concrete piers and abutments. The bridge was built in 1915 and widened in 1935. The east arch of the north pier, from which VA took core samples, dates to 1915 and the adjoining west arch of the north pier is part of the 1935 construction.
Scope of work
- Took core samples for testing of concrete physical properties by others.
- Performed in situ carbonation testing of concrete.
- Installed non-shrink grout at core sample locations following removal of cores.
- Gained access to pier below bridge deck with no closure or disturbance to vehicular traffic.
- Took core samples up to two feet long from highly fractured concrete.
- New York State Department of Transportation